Killer jazz record from instrumentalist, composer and arranger Louis Xavier (Leader of the great 'Synchro Rhythmic Eclectic Language' . Originally released in Paris in 1981, where Louis was a prolific player in the Parisian music scene.
LOUIS XAVIER is a talented and sincere all-round artist. He is at once a double-bass player, a guitarist, a bass player, a writer, a composer, an arranger and a band leader. All this has made him a prolific element of the Parisian scene since the 1970’s. His story is first and foremost based on various unfailing encounters and friendships.
In 1971,EDDY GAUMONT passed away under tragic circumstances. LOUIS then took over the mantle in SYNCHRO RHYTHMIC.
In 1973, LOUIS met pianist GEORGES-EDOUARD NOUEL, who consequently joined the band.
In 1975, GEORGES-EDOUARD NOUEL’s album « CHODO », produced by PIERRE LATTES, was recorded with the following lineup : LOUIS (bass and guitare), SAINT-YVES DOPLHIN (cloche cowbell, guiro, bel-air drums and percussions),DANY CAPRON (conga, cowbell, guiro, ti-bois and percussions), and FABRICE RABOISSON (batterie and percussions).On that record, LOUIS composed the wonderful « CESCA ».
In 1976, two albums were released on the Moshé-Naïm label :
- The almost exclusively instrumental « LAMBI », is an original fully-fledged production played in an unheard sort of way.
- Then came « FRANCK VALMONT & SYNCHRO RHYTHMIC ECLECTIC LANGUAGE » : VALMONT, who passed away in July 2017, was a Guadeloupean poet-singer and writer-composer whose lyrics and music were drenched all at once in strength, authenticity and emotion. He found the perfect match with SYNCHRO’s interpretation of his music.
That network of friends, at once closely-knit and open, serenely gained strength and energy in order to give life to magnificent art projects.
On November 10th and 11th 1977, LOUIS XAVIER & X PLUS performed with THE LAST POETS at FESTIVAL D’AUTOMNE (Autumn/Fall Festival) at Salle WAGRAM – a legendary concert hall located in the 17th arrondissement of Paris, not far from the Arc de Triomphe.
1982 coincided with the advent of RADIO MANGO and the release of « LADJA : Jazz With a West Indian Soul » LP. This was a direct to disc recording produced by PIERRE LATTES at TRANSLAB studio (Paris). It was done in live conditions with the precious help of JO MAKA.
- LADJA : the title refers to the Martinique equivalent of Capoeira, a martial dance from Brazil : this very acrobatic fighting proceeds to the sounds of a specific music, which leads the various phases of the opponents’ fight.
– DELITO : That theme was composed by LOUIS XAVIER as a tribute to Guadeloupean percussionnist ALAIN DELOS.
– TROIS ILETS : as a reference to a « commune » (township) of the same name in Martinique, where LOUIS XAVIER’s father was born.
– HELIX was composed by the late and dearly missed JO MAKA : its title alludes to «L.X. »,LOUIS XAVIER’s initials. It also happens to be the name of a flower which voluptuously opens to the sunlight.
– STEPS, another creation by JO MAKA, is at once a call to dance and a reference to the steps of stairs which are supposed to lead to ecstasy.
– MISS BEE is JO MAKA’s girlfriend.
– MIGAN : In Creole language, it is the name of a culinary speciality whose main ingredients are breadfruit, salt meat or salt pig.
As it is the case for icebergs, the emerged part (SYNCHRO-RHYTHMIC-ECLECTIC- LANGUAGE, then LADJA, X+, …) has somehow concealed many other episodes of LOUIS XAVIER’s significant immerged musical lives,whether they came before or after LADJA.
As a matter of fact, even before the release of that album, his musical activities had already become multifaceted, for if he continued to lead various groups and lineups (AGOUMAN, J.B.L.F., among others). He was also a sideman who didn’t refrain himself from recording for other band leaders. The album of NOEL MCGHIE & SPACE SPIES is worth mentioning. It was released on TRAPEZE label in 1975. He was also hired for live performances alongside AMBROSE JACKSON. He even wrote arrangements for other artists’ tunes by forming, playing and leading one-off bands like ANDRE BIALEK’s Concubin et Concubine. He has also written film scores and soundtracks for ballets.
Despite the wealth of this musical activity, selected according to his own criteria, LOUIS XAVIER has never ceased to venture into other artistic realms. Come to think of it, they are often close to music. Thus, having been introduced to FRANCE MUSIQUE by PIERRE LATTES in order to host a radio show, he ended up running RADIO MANGO, an independent FM radio channel, for ten years. In the meantime, he took the time to produce some programmes for FRANCE CULTURE, not to forget his continuous involvement in all his other activities including, of course, all those centered around music.
In 2017, French label Rebirth On Wax repressed Georges-Edouard Nouel’s " CHODO " album, featuring Louis Xavier on bass.
In 2018, Louis Xavier has wholeheartedly put his trust in Rebirth On Wax : this is how our re-release of his "LADJA " album came to be.