v/a - like nashville in naija: nigeria's romance with country music yesterday & today - comb & razor soundCRZR 1005LP - us2lp
Genre: African - Nigeria
1. Actor Alile - "The Seed Of Love
2. Dedication - "Concert Ever
3. Emma Ogosi - "Slave Drivers
4. Fred Donn - "Lidina Lole
5. Rennie Cottonheart - "No More Love In This Town
6. Al Jackson - "Sometime Someday
7. Ogak Jay Oke - "Another Day
8. Henry Pedro - "Roots
9. Joe Nez & His Top Six - "Baby You
10. Ofege - "Come Right Back
11. Stanley Edet Jr - "Never Be In A Hurry
12. Don Civic - "Hill Billy Man
13. Emma Ogosi - "Going Back To My Wife
14. Gnonnas Pedro - "Dark As A Dungeon
15. Henry Pedro - "Midnight Sun
16. Poor Charley Akaa - "Be In Your Arms
Comb & Razor Sound is helmed by Nigerian musicologist and researcher Uchenna Ikonne. With 'Like Nashville In Naija'Ikonne examines a unmined portion of Nigeria's musical legacy, the influence of American country music on the people and performers of the West African nation.
The people of the West African nation of Nigeria have long been not only voracious consumers of country music, but fairly enthusiastic performers of it as well. Cowboy songs have remained a consistent part of most bands live repertoire, but relatively few artists have dedicated themselves to actually recording country music. They did exist, though; mostly in the1970s and 80s, but they were rarely heard outside the country, and in the intervening years, most of their output has fallen through the cracks of posterity, forgotten even by ardent music fans at home. Until now.
Like Nashville in Naija: Nigeria's Romance with Country Music, Yesterday and Today collects some of the best country recordings as a loving tribute to Nigeria's cowboy troubadours of yore.