v/a - true soul vol. 1&2 - now againNA 5081LP - us4lp box
Genre: Funk / Soul
1. Thomas East - Slipping Around (45 Version)
2. Albert Smith - Come Together
3. John Craig - Doing My Own Thing
4. York Wilborn's Psychedelic Six - Wheezin'
5. The Conspiracy - I Believe (Our Love Has Gone Away)
6. Ren Smith - Smog (Full Version)
7. Thomas East - Sister Funk (Original, Full Version)
8. York Wilborn's Psychedelic Six - Funky Football
9. York Wilborn's Psychedelic Six - Psychedelic Hot Pants (Full Version)
10. Classsic Funk - Hard Times
11. The Right Track - I Gotta Move With The Groove
12. The Conspiracy - Conspiracy
13. Thomas East - Funky Music
14. The Conspiracy - The Real Thing
15. The Leaders - (It's A) Rat Race (Instrumental)
16. Thomas East - Follow The Rainbow (Alternate Mix)
17. Albert Smith - The Thrill Is Gone
18. Thomas East - Just A Trip
19. Larry Davis - Down Home Funk (Full Version)
20. The Right Track - You For Me And Me For You
21. Thomas East - Sister Funk (Instrumental)
22. Classic Funk - The Funk's Gonna Fly
23. York Wilborn's Psychedelic Six - Thank You
24. The Right Track - Maybe Yes, Maybe No
25. Portrait - Love You For Now On
26. The Leaders - (It's A) Rat Race (Vocal)
27. John Craig - I Don't Want To Do It
28. John Craig - Doing My Own Thing (Interlude)
29. Portrait - Springtime Smile
30. Le'Chance - Get Down
31. Le'Chance - Gigolo
32. Soul Mind And Body - I Took Your Love (To Be True) (Full Version)
Out of Stock
60's and 70's Soul, Funk, Disco, Party-Rap and Boogie from Arkansas's Legendary Independent Label - the final installment presented as an all inclusive 4xLP Anthology.
Now-Again Records, in association with label-owner Lee Anthony, is proud to present the release of True Soul: Deep Sounds from the Left of Stax, a collection of rare and unreleased funk and soul music from the fabled Arkansas indie. Over twelve years in the making, this anthology – presented over the course of two volumes of CD/DVDs and this four-LP box set – seeks to establish True Soul’s rightful place within America’s funk and soul pantheon. TIP!
As much as this 4LP set is about the adventurous, always-funky and oh-so-rare recordings that True Soul made possible, it is also about Anthony, the man. A true, American “up-from-the-bootstraps” story, Anthony’s is one in which his frontiersman’s entrepreneurial spirit and vision remains undeterred as he sets up black-owned businesses in a post-Jim Crow South and succeeds in capturing recordings from the high water mark of America’s funk and soul movement.
Anthony’s story intertwines with the renowned Sam Philips – an early mentor and patron – and Memphis’s Al Bell and Willie Mitchell – with whom Anthony collaborated as he tried to cultivate Little Rock’s funk and soul in the shadow of Stax and Hi Records. This anthology will make influence amongst the history of southern funk and soul is transparent, as his story of how he helped turn a stranded road band into the Gap Band. This comprehensive True Soul Records anthology – including a 10-page, booklet chock full of photos, ephemera and extensive liner notes - not only carries the rare distributed funk and soul 45s that led the likes of renowned collectors DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist to Lee Anthony’s door in search of Anthony’s fabled “treasure chest,*” but also includes previously unreleased boogie, disco and party rap recorded in True Soul’s early-80’s twilight. You can find this all contained in a one of a kind 4xLP boxset, with each sleeve donning the True Soul logo that Anthony held so dear.